Students Helpful Hints for Fall


New Residential Freshmen & Transfer Students

Commuter Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Where can I get a parking pass on campus?

You can obtain a parking pass at the Office of Student Activities downstairs in Old Main. You will also have the opportunity to obtain a parking pass during your orientation session (see Orientation Schedule).  You will need a parking pass to park on campus.  

Where can I park on campus?

Commuters can park in the Warren Bush Lot, the Library Lot, or the Old Main Lot (see lots indicated on the map here). Nursing students can access their classes best by parking in the Warren Bush Lot. Respiratory therapy students can access their classes best by parking in the lot between the Library Lot and the Old Main Lot if space is available.

Do I need a student ID card to be on campus?

You should have a student ID card when you are on campus so that security officers will know you are a student. While residential students receive a room key and a student ID card at check-in, commuter students can receive an ID Card upon request. Time will be set aside at orientation for commuters to get their ID cards, and students can contact or come by the Office of Student Affairs (downstairs in Old Main) to have an ID made at any time throughout the year. If you are unable to attend the orientation session for commuters, you may also opt to send in a picture, but it must meet the approval of the Office of Student Affairs. For best results, stand against a white wall, taking a picture from the chest up, and email pictures along with an ID request to:

Who do I call for help if I have a security issue while on campus?

Synergy Security provides security services for the college from 5 pm to 5 am. To contact a security officer, you may visit the office downstairs in Old Main, or call: (229) 732-5919. For emergencies, call 911.

Am I allowed to eat in the dining hall? How much does it cost? What are the dining hall hours of operation?

Yes! Meals at the dining hall for commuters are $5.50, and you can pay with cash or credit at the register.  You may also choose to purchase a paper card at a discount of 10 meals for $50 or 5 meals for $25 ($5 per meal). Commuters can also purchase a meal plan through the business office, which includes 19 meals per week. The dining hall hours are: Monday – Friday: Breakfast 7:30am-9:30am, Lunch 11am-1:30pm (1pm on Friday), Dinner 5pm-7pm; Saturday & Sunday: Brunch 11am-1pm, Dinner 5pm-7pm.

Where can I get a snack on campus?

You can get snacks at the new Peg Leg’s Cstore.  It will have snacks, sandwiches, salads, and drinks available for purchase with cash or credit card. The school store in Pitts Library often carries snacks as well.

Where can I buy school supplies and college tshirts, etc., on campus?

There are some school supplies and college t-shirts and other official school logo items for sale in Pitts Library.  You can also purchase Andrew College gear HERE!  

Where can I hang out between classes on campus?

Some places that may be comfortable to hang out between class include the Old Main Student Center, outdoor tables located near the back entrance of Old Main, Pitts Library, the Campus Green, and the Warren Bush Student Center (1st floor)

Are there study rooms where commuter students can meet on campus?

There are study rooms available for students in the Pitts Library; see the librarian to reserve one, or feel free to use any open study rooms.

Where in town can I get air for my tires?

There is a pay air pump at The Trading Post gas station on the square (behind Hixon Hardware) as well as at the Citgo station (from Cuthbert, cross Highway 27, station is on the right next to the Huddle House).

Where in town can I get something to eat?

There are several places to eat in and around Cuthbert. Please see the Newcomer’s Guide for more information.

Where in town can I purchase supplies?

There are several places in and around Cuthbert to purchase supplies. The Dollar General, The CVS Pharmacy, and the Family Dollar are located on Blakely Street off the square.  

What can I do if I am struggling in class?

Students who are struggling in class have several options for assistance at no additional cost. First, your professors are student-oriented and may be the best to ask for help in a particular area. For help with research, the college librarian located in Pitts Library can show you some valuable resources. In addition, the Student Success Center has student and professional tutors in all subjects. All students also have access to UpSwing, the college’s online, 24-7 tutoring service. From the link located on your Canvas homepage, you can reach a live tutor by video chat or even upload a paper for review through this service.

Where can I print on campus?

Students can print in the Pitts Library. In addition, the Student Success Center (SSC) offers up to 10 free printed pages on certain days and times during the week. 

Online Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why is my class not showing up on my CANVAS account?

Your professor will take the class roll and input all students a few days prior to the beginning of class. If after the first day of class you still do not see a class you are supposed to be taking online, please contact the course professor (professor’s name will be listed on your schedule, and you can find professors’ emails on our Faculty/Staff Directory on our website) or your advisor.

How do I get into my CANVAS account?

Students can access the Canvas platform from the college homepage by scrolling to the bottom and looking under “Resources” to find the Canvas link. You can also access Canvas from the “Current Student” tab (also at the bottom of the homepage) under “Technology.”

How do I know my email/ Empower/ CANVAS user names and passwords? What if I forget?

Your Empower and Canvas usernames and passwords and email information is located on your acceptance letter. If you misplace this information, please contact the Admission Office. The Technology Help Sheet gives further information as well.

How is attendance taken in an online class?

Students are often surprised that attendance IS taken for online courses. Students should log in to online courses a few days before classes begin to preview the syllabus and other information. Students must log in to online classes on the first day of the semester to “verify” their attendance in the online course, according to the professor’s instructions for attendance verification. If a student has not verified his/her intent to attend the online course by the last day for drop/add, the student is subject to being withdrawn from the course. Attendance is taken at least once per week via some activity as proscribed by your professor in the course syllabus (different professors use different activities). Because online classes are abbreviated (8 weeks instead of 16 weeks), you cannot have more than one (1) absence in an online course. Non-participation in an online course can result in a student being administratively withdrawn from the course.

Dual Enrollment Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) See also: Online Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Since I receive a letter grade in my college class, what grade will show on my high school report card?

Andrew College assigns letter grades to students according to the grading criteria established in each course syllabus. Your high school will determine how that grade is used to calculate the grade on your high school report card.

Where do I get my textbooks for my courses?

While most college students have to purchase their own college textbooks, as a dual enrollment student, your books are provided for you by the college. You can pick up your books at the beginning of each semester at the Admissions Office. You should receive an email from the admission office when these materials are available.

Am I considered a “real” college student?

Dual Enrollment students are REAL college students. Instructors are not informed that a student is a dual enrollment student. A dual enrollment student is treated like any other student.

Can I participate in college student activities and events?

Dual Enrollment students are encouraged to participate in all college activities.

When the college has a holiday but my school does not (and vice versa), what do I do?

Dual Enrollment students are expected to adhere to the college calendar. The college does not regard high school calendars. If your high school has a holiday, but the college does not, you are expected to attend your college course. If the college has a holiday but your high school does not, you are expected to attend your high school as normal.

Transfer Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How will I know which classes I took at my former school are accepted here?

Courses from an accredited institution with a grade of  “C” or better are generally accepted, some exclusions apply. Accepted transfer courses are listed on the Andrew College transcript. Students may view an unofficial transcript through their Empower account. More information may be found in the Academic Catalog under “Credit Earned at Other Institutions.” 

Will my GPA at my former school be averaged in with my GPA here?

Transfer credits are not used in the calculation of the Andrew College GPA. 

Am I eligible for honor roll and awards?

Yes. The President’s and Dean’s Lists are based on term GPA. In order to graduate with honors,  a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 is required.  More information may be found in the Academic Catalog under “Honors and Awards.”

Sophomore Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Ok. I’m a sophomore, now what?

You may be nearing the “finish line” of your academic goals here as a sophomore. You’ll need to talk to your advisor about what you need to do to complete your degree here and think about what you’ll do next. If you’re interested in pursuing a four-year degree, we offer several options here and your advisor can help you explore others. We also have resources through the office of career services that can guide you in your next steps.

How and when do I “apply” for graduation?

You will need to see your advisor to review your degree plan and to fill out the graduation application form. To participate in Spring commencement exercises, you will turn in your graduation application in to the registrar the semester prior to the semester in which you plan to graduate (see deadline in campus calendar) and pay the graduation fee.  More information about graduation may be found in the Graduation section of the Academic Catalog.

Do I have to “graduate,” or can I just transfer to another school?

We understand that things come up and you are not able to graduate from Andrew College with a degree.  Andrew College is a SACS accredited school and therefore most, if not all of your courses should transfer to your next institution, assuming it’s located in Georgia.  You will need to work with a transfer specialist at your new institution to determine which courses will transfer with credit.  Students can also take courses as a “transient” student as well; this means that a student may take a course at another institution during the summer (for example), and have the course transferred back to Andrew College for credit, upon prior approval.  A grade of C or higher is normally required for a course to be transferred to another institution.

How does being a sophomore affect my financial aid?

Students must reapply for financial aid each year, and be mindful of the number of credit hours and how that affects any awards or loans, etc. Sophomores are eligible for different loan amounts than freshmen. In order to continue to qualify for financial aid, students must make sure to meet “satisfactory academic progress,” which is figured based on course grades, GPA, and number of credits earned. For more information, see the current Academic Catalog (p. 25).

First Generation College Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is a “first-generation” college student?

While this is typically defined as a student whose parents did not attend college, it can be generally understood to mean any student who does not have someone in their life who has been to college who can help guide them through the “intangible” aspects of college life.

What does an “advisor” do? How is the advisor different from my teacher or coach?

While you may never take a class from your advisor, an advisor is a college professor who is there to “advise” you in your college endeavours. Your advisor will help you choose classes, change majors, and determine your next steps (a four-year college, an internship, etc.). Please keep in mind that your advisor is there to “advise”, but the student bears the ultimate responsibility for making sure he/she is taking the correct courses, etc. 

How do I know what courses to take?

In addition to consulting with your advisor about which courses to take, you can know which courses are required for your major by reviewing your major’s Program of Study located in the Academic Catalog, which is available online under “Academics,” and “College Catalog,” and is also linked on the “current students” page. Scroll through the catalogue to find the listing for your particular area of study. This along with your most current transcript can help you know what courses you need to take next.


How many years do I have to go to college?

The number of years a student is in college can vary widely depending on the student’s intentions. A part-time student will usually take longer than a full-time student. The number of years also depends on whether a student is pursuing a certificate, an associate’s degree, or a bachelor’s degree. The length of time to earn a certificate can vary depending on the certificate sought, but is usually less than two years. An associate’s degree will usually take a full-time student two years or four semesters of 15 credit hours (60 credit hours). A bachelor’s degree will usually take a full-time student four years or 8 semesters of 15 credit hours (120 credit hours). You can determine the length of times more individually by looking at your program of study located in the college catalog, determining how many courses you want to take per semester, and things like whether or not you will take summer courses. Be mindful that certain scholarships and financial aid require that you take a certain number of credit hours per semester to qualify.

What is the difference between an associates degree, bachelor’s, masters, and a doctoral degree?

In general, the difference in these different degrees is the length of time, or the number of credit hours, associated with each degree. Associate’s degrees are typically two years (60 credit hours), bachelor’s are four years (120 hours), master’s degrees usually take two years in addition to the bachelor’s and doctoral degrees will take two to three additional years in addition to the master’s degree. Which degree you should get depends on how long you wish to attend school, what profession you seek, and at what level or capacity you wish to work in that profession. For example, you can obtain an Associates Degree of Nursing (ADN) which qualifies you to be a licensed nurse in two years; in order to seek more supervisory roles in the field, you may need to seek a Bachelor’s of Nursing (BSN) or even a Master’s of Nursing (MSN). While some professions do not even require that you have a college degree at all, some require that you have a degree of a certain level to qualify for a position in that field. Talk to someone currently in the field you wish to pursue about current requirements and preferred degree-holdings for positions in your chosen area of study.

Why is my college GPA so important?

College GPA (grade point average) is important as it first shows your level of mastery of the content of the courses in your major curriculum. Your GPA determines your eligibility for several types of financial aid. Students have to meet a minimum GPA to maintain enrollment in college. Students receive honors at graduation depending on their GPA. In addition, students wishing to further their education by pursuing a four-year degree will have to meet minimum GPA requirements of the school to which they wish to transfer upon graduation. Most masters degree programs have a high minimum GPA for acceptance. In addition, your GPA will not change. If you do not do well in school and sit out for twenty (20) years, when you return, your GPA will be the same as when you  left, though you may have greatly matured since then. One professor put it this way, “Your GPA follows you to the grave.”

How are letter grades different from numerical grades?

Letter grades are holistic grades assigned by your professor to indicate your level of mastery in a course. While a professor may assign numerical grades on particular assignments, your transcript will show the letter grade associated with your numerical course average according to how your professor determines grades. The letter grade reflects your professor’s determination of your level of understanding of the course material based on things such as the numerical grades on your assignments as well as his or her determination of your participation level in class, etc. A letter grade of “A” equates to an average of between 90-100, or a 4.0 on the four-point scale.

When do I have to start paying back my loans?

Students begin paying back their loans after a grace period following graduation, usually about 6 months. You will receive correspondence from your loan agency regarding repayment, and usually are offered several different options on how to repay.

What is a “Registrar”? “Comptroller”?

The titles of college officials are often not heard in any other organizations outside of academia, which can often make it hard to understand who to ask about what or who to go to when you need to take care of something. A “registrar” is the person who is in charge of officially recording your grades. The Registrar can provide you with copies of your official transcript of all of your grades, a document that other colleges will want if you transfer or that employers may ask for for your  job. The Registrar also can answer any questions that you may have about your schedule or requirements for graduation. The Registrar will review all of your classes to be sure you met the degree requirements before you graduate by doing a degree audit, an official check of requirements. A “Comptroller” is a person who works in the Business Office who is in charge of bills, accounts, payments, etc. for the college.  The Comptroller is the official accountant of the college.

What does it mean when it says I have to pay my bill?

Any expenses including tuition, room and board (residence hall fee and meal plan) that you incur at the school that are not covered by your financial aid will have to be paid by a certain date each semester. Check your email daily, and if you see a message from our business office, this may be in regard to some money you are left owing the school that must be paid out-of-pocket. Not paying your balance can result in a “hold” being placed on your records, meaning you cannot register for classes or sometimes may no longer attend classes until the balance is taken care of.